Back to school!


When I lived and worked in Iwate, I was lucky enough to visit Morioka School for the Deaf a couple of times each year, to help out in English classes and participate in school festivals. It was the most rewarding part of my job. Despite their hearing impairments, these kids were the most genki (bright and energetic) kids I taught in Japan. 

Primary students playing the Australia quiz
So I was very excited to go back to the school to see how the students and teachers were doing. Most of the kids I had known had graduated years before, but there was one student who had been in primary school when I last taught there who was now a high school senior. It was great to catch up with him again after all these years.


I was only at the school for one day this time but we had a great time practising English, learning about Australia, eating yummy Australian food and playing games at lunch.

Anbo sensei and junior high students

Thanks to all the wonderful students and teachers for letting me into their classrooms again – it was a great experience. And thanks especially to Anbo sensei for all her help in organising my visit (and cooking the pavlova!)

    



Read more about what’s going on at Morioka School for the Deaf at their blog: http://www2.iwate-ed.jp/mor-r/ (Japanese only)

Playing outside after lunch
 
Lunchtime in the cafeteria

No comments:

Post a Comment